As a wedding photographer, blogging is a necessity! It is important to constantly be sharing new work or offering new content so that your clients will know that you are still there. This has definitely been a challenge… in more ways than one. Not only is it a challenge to actually blog every single day, but the topics are forcing me to reach down deep within and I am learning things about myself as well. So here with go with day number four!
Day Four: Seven Things That Cross Your Mind A Lot
1. I AM BLESSED: I am seriously aware of how blessed my life truly is, and I am also fully aware of who that blessing comes from. God has taken care of our family even when we did not realize it. He provides for us exactly what we need in the exact moment that we need it. We have learned to be truly thankful for what we have, and realize that in a moment it could all be gone. I do not take for granted how blessed I truly am.
2. PLEASE DON’T LET ME MESS THEM UP: I never thought I would be the type of mother to homeschool her children. But when my middle child fell victim to a horrific incident during her sixth grade year, I was terrified to let her out of my site because I was afraid of the psychological issues of what she had gone through. There was no question in my mind at that point that I was going to home school her. A year later my teenage son decided that he too wanted to be homeschooled. And now that my youngest child is old enough to start Kindergarten I will be homeschooling her as well. WHEW! What I find ironic about all of this is that I dropped out of college right before I was to start my student-teaching semester because I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I did not want to teach, but instead I wanted to be a photographer! I’m pretty sure God has a sense of humor! But my biggest concern is that I will mess them all up. HAHA
3. WHERE TO NEXT: I am seriously addicted to traveling. Growing up in the south as a child was all I knew. I lived forever in a tiny town called Winnsboro Louisiana, and when we moved to the city of Monroe Louisiana I thought I was living large! Our family went on a couple of vacations that I barely remember when I was little, but for the most part I was 18 years old before I ever traveled to another state that did not border the state of Louisiana. So when we moved to Tennessee I was experiencing the world… or at least I thought. Four years ago I decided on a New Year’s resolution that would allow me to actually travel. No matter what I was determined to travel somewhere that was NOT within driving distance. At least once a year I would travel some place that requires getting on a plane. Now I am a traveling monster. Scott says that is why we never are able to save much money. HAHA
4. MOVING: Scott and I purchased our home about eleven years ago. It was our first home purchase ever, and we really had no idea what we were doing when we bought it. It is an older home that was built in the 60′s so the $30,000 of equity that we walked into the purchase of our home with has been eaten up by home repairs and the economy hitting bottom. We keep hanging on thinking that at some point we might gain some of our equity back, but it isn’t looking so promising. I just want to move! I dream of the day when I can purchase a home that allows me a space for a studio and/or meeting space for clients.
5. AN ASSISTANT: I’ve been thinking a lot lately about hiring an assistant. I’ve never hired anyone before so I’m not even sure how to do it. But I could seriously use some help with booking clients and making sales. I enjoy photographing people A LOT! But I absolutely hate selling. HAHA. If I had my way, I would shoot everything for free. But I’m not going to get many of my bills paid that way.
6. MY STUDENT LOANS: Am I ever going to get them paid off? It is such an annoyance to me that I am paying thousands of dollars in student loans and I never even finished my degree! What was I thinking?!!
7. HOW CAN I IMPROVE: Every now and then I look back at my work from several years ago, and I am amazed at how far I’ve come! Sometimes I look at some of my old work and think that I must have been on crack! But seriously… I am happy with the progress that I have made. But I am always looking for ways to improve. I believe that will never be finished learning and that there is always some area in which I can improve.
That wraps up Day Four! WHEW! This is tough! See you all tomorrow with Six Things I Wish I Had Never Done. OH LORD! That should be interesting!